Smart Install: Ting’s commitment to getting people connected
Ting's Smart Install program began in April 2020 and will remain as an efficient option for Ting Internet customers. Here's how it works, step by step.
Fiber Internet access is an essential service. That has never been more clear.
Necessity is the mother of invention. The COVID-19 pandemic forced us to find ways to balance people’s need for better Internet access with the realities of people needing to maintain a safe distance from each other. We explored a variety of options and safe ways to bring fiber Internet to customers. What we found is a smart new process to install fiber in people’s homes that will be viable long past physical distancing orders.
The Smart Install pilot program began in April 2020 and will remain as an efficient option for Ting Internet customers who don’t need or want a white-glove installation service.[vimeo id="428235488"]
What is a Smart Install?
The Smart Install process gets customers involved inside the premises to create a contactless, technician-led installation. Smart Install concentrates the installer’s work outside of the home or business being connected while the customer connects a couple of pieces on the inside. It simplifies things to the point that if the customer has ever hung a picture, or really, even if they haven’t, they can complete the indoor portion of the installation.
The Smart Install, step by step
Acknowledging that every install is a little different, the following is the basic procedure.
Before the Smart Install process begins, the fiber drop from the road up to the side of the premises is completed. The installation technician confirms light levels on the fiber and runs diagnostic and a speed test to confirm everything is as it should be. Then:
- The Ting fiber Internet technician provides a sanitized welcome kit that includes everything you need to get started… plus some nice little extras.
During this process, the technician works outside while on the phone with you indoors. This can be a voice call or a video chat, whatever your preference.
- The technician finds the appropriate place on an exterior wall on the main floor of the premises to bring the fiber in; they might ask for a photo of the interior wall. The install point needs to have a clear point of reference, like a window, to work with.
- The technician will use a deep-sensing wall scanner, a sort of stud finder on steroids, to confirm the path from outside to inside is clear.
- The technician drills through the exterior wall and feeds the fiber through to the customer on the inside.
- The customer mounts the purpose-built housing and plugs the fiber into the optical network terminal (ONT).
- Finally, the customer connects the Ethernet cable from the kit into the router and powers everything on.
If it sounds simple, that’s because it is.
If it sounds complicated, don’t worry. We’re with you every step of the way.
Getting in touch
We're working through the backlog of postponed installations in order. If you had an installation booked and are waiting for an update, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Ting Internet support at 1-844-846-4994.
We're also booking new installation appointments! Check your address to confirm we're in your neighborhood so you can book yours.